Sunday, November 15, 2009

Gratitude

I’ve known you for almost 6 years. I remember when I first met you. I had just started at the Canyon Café. Although we hadn’t been formally introduced yet, you captivated me immediately and it became a goal of mine to become your friend. That doesn’t happen to me often, it’s rare that I like someone instantly, but not in your case. I just knew you were someone worth investing in.

Soon enough, I achieved my goal as we bonded over the hilarities and frustrations of the restaurant business, our love lives, music, and our mutual love for skiing. You never failed to make me laugh. You were so freaking funny. And you were incredibly smart, which made you even funnier, which made me love you more.

I usually came to work not in a great mood, as working with the general public was often difficult and required patience and a thick skin. You loved it, thrived on it, and your customers loved you in return. You enjoyed giving people a good experience no matter what they challenged you with. Loyal repeat guests often occupied your tables. It was your calling to work with people and restaurants became your outlet to express that.

We both moved to Denver around the same time. I remember how excited you were for life in the city. We lived blocks from each other in Capital Hill. I remember days of visiting each other’s tiny apartments, meeting for coffee, talking about relationships, and life goals. You had so much passion for everything you did and everything that interested you, I envied that.

I recommended you apply at North in Cherry Creek, where I was working. How much fun it would be to work with you again, to breath in your energy and exuberance everyday. But mostly, I needed those hugs (you haven’t really felt better than after you got a hug from Taige.) So large and strong, you would pick me up and squeeze me for minutes. Rejuvenating my soul with your energy. I will miss those hugs soooo much. Years went by and our lives moved in separate directions, you back to Boulder and me out to the suburbs. But we were never out of touch for long. We were friends and I couldn’t be happier than to have you in my life.

I remember the last time I saw you in Boulder at the end of September. I was standing outside of Jax Fish House after finishing dinner. You were out on the town celebrating nothing and everything all at once. You swooped me up for a hug. I was so happy to see you. You were telling me all about how great work was, how good you had become at skiing, you were so devoted to it. I think you had a ski pass to every mountain on the Front Range. We talked about getting together to ski. I told you about my engagement and details about the wedding. You hugged my fiancé with congratulations like you had known him all your life, when I think you had just met once before. But it was genuine; you always acted with complete sincerity. I loved that about you, how quick you were to open your heart to someone new. I walked away from that encounter again feeling rejuvenated, captivated by you, excited about the future and grateful for our friendship.

I don’t know what else to say Taige, I wish I could eloquently describe every memory I have of you in a way to do them justice. I cant. No words can describe the way your friendship made me feel. I felt so damn lucky to have you in my life. I am grateful for every moment we had together. I promise that for however long I am still in this life, I will love deeper, laugh louder, dance crazier, hug harder, and smile more because I knew you. Thank you for giving me that.

Melissa M.

No comments: